BAE Systems’ Electronic Solutions Division is a recognized leader in the design, development and manufacturing of national defense electronics, including thermal imaging and defensive countermeasure items, as well as aircraft avionic and electronic warfare systems.
Electronic Solutions is a sector of BAE Systems Inc., which is part of a global defense and security company that employs approximately 52,000 people at 130 sites around the world. They deliver a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces. Electronic Solutions, based in Nashua, NH, draws from 9,000 employees at 17 key sites throughout the United States, plus an additional facility in Jerusalem, Israel. Since 2003, BAE Systems has participated in CORE New Hampshire energy efficiency programs, investing $2.6 million and completing 243 projects. BAE Systems’ eight-year partnership with Public Service of New Hampshire has provided both companies the opportunity to work together to identify and implement energy efficiency measures, resulting in significant energy and dollar savings. They include:
- Major lighting retrofits in all four New Hampshire facilities
- Innovative re-lamping and replacement of lighting systems with high performance T-8 lamps and ballasts
- Change out of three aged gas absorption chillers with high-efficient electric units
- Replacement of aged HVAC units
- Replacement of aged air compressed systems with new VSD driven compressors that include storage and energy efficient dryers
- Variable frequency drives on motors The projects have yielded impressive results. BAE Systems has seen an annual energy savings of more than 9.3 million kWh, as well as a savings of nearly $1.2 million in annual power costs.
The BAE Systems Energy Management team has created and adopted an Energy Policy that outlines conservation requirements and employees’ personal responsibilities for optimizing energy use on the job. The policy is updated annually to include the latest energy management innovations. BAE Systems believes that, in today’s world, they can no longer look solely at the bottom line profit but also at the triple bottom line that focuses on the economic as well as social and environmental aspects of sustaining the company. In response to its commitment to energy efficiency and sustainability BAE has been honored with numerous state and national awards